Sunday, July 08, 2007

OK, I was wrong

I thought the final was going to be Mexico-Argentina. Turns out it's the semi-final that is going to be Mexico-Argentina. Meanwhile, in the other semi, Uruguay is going to face Brazil.

I will say right now that I think Argentina is going to beat Mexico. I won't be rooting for either team to win, but I just feel that Argentina is better than Mexico right now. But hey, I could be wrong. I see it going to penalties. Especially given that their is no extra time, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes to penalties.

I think Uruguay is a team to watch out for. They may not be the glamorous side Brazil is, but they are going to be much harder to breakdown defensively than Chile was, and they have the forwards to do damage if Brazil isn't careful...

So, my prediction for the final is Uruguay-Argentina... yikes. Not sure about that, though.

This has got to be one of the strangest tournaments ever - a generally great group stage, followed by four absolute blowouts. Go figure. Would it really surprise anyone if the semi-finals go to penalties?

No comments: